diabetestalk.net

Glaucoma And Diabetes: Awareness Can Save Your Sight

Glaucoma And Diabetes: Awareness Can Save Your Sight

Glaucoma And Diabetes: Awareness Can Save Your Sight

People who have diabetes are at higher risk for developing glaucoma, a group of degenerative eye diseases that cause blurred vision, loss of vision and, if left untreated, blindness.
January is National Glaucoma Awareness Month, the perfect time to remind ourselves why a yearly eye exam is important. Although some types of glaucoma trigger distressing symptoms, the most common type, called open-angle, does not. An eye exam is necessary to detect this problem.
Diabetes and Glaucoma
A research study done at the Michigan Kellogg Eye Center revealed the risk of open-angle glaucoma increases 35 percent for people with diabetes alone. Individuals having hypertension alone have a 17 percent higher risk. The likelihood of developing glaucoma rises 48 percent for those with both diabetes and hypertension.
"The study reinforces the importance of regular eye examinations for patients at increased risk of glaucoma, including those with diabetes and hypertension," said researcher Dr. Joshua D. Stein.
Other risk factors for glaucoma are a positive family history, being over 40, Asian-American or African-American heritage, and a history of severe eye injury.
Glaucoma’s Angle: What Glaucoma Is
For us to see, light must go through the curved covering of our eyes, or cornea, and then pass through a pocket called the anterior chamber. The anterior chamber contains a protective fluid called aqueous humor. From there, light travels through the hole (pupil) in our colorful iris, through the vitreous—a fluid filled chamber—and then strikes the back or our eye, or retina.
At the cusp of the Continue reading

Rate this article
Total 1 ratings
Moringa – The Herb That Kills Cancer And Stops Diabetes

Moringa – The Herb That Kills Cancer And Stops Diabetes

If you need to be healthier, have no problems with the body, have energy and live longer, this is the herb! Moringa oleifera is the magical plant of South Asia. It was used in tradition and medicine for many years. It’s also known as drumstick and is powerful with antioxidant amount.
It is proven to be healthy, yet there is still time to examine its benefits more.
These are the 7 reasons for consuming its fruits and leaves.
VALUE OF NUTRITION
The fruits and leaves of this herb have many minerals and vitamins. Also, 1 cup of pods gives you 157% RDA vitamin C.
One cup also has:
Vitamin B6- 19% daily needs
Vitamin A-9%
protein-2 g
vitamin C-12%
vitamin B2 riboflavin- 11%
iron- 11%
magnesium- 8%
THE DRY LEAVES CAN BE FOUND AS SUPPLEMENTS. BUT, A NATURAL PLANT IS BETTER.
STRONG BONES
Consuming this plant makes bone density better. It has calcium and iron that stops bone loss. Also, give it to adolescent in growing to boost their stamina and health.
NO CANCER
This herb has antioxidants and fights free radicals. It stops cancer in forming. It also has vitamin C and beta carotene, but chlorogenic acid and quercetin too. They are the best shield to these radicals.
HEADACHE RELIEF
Take the roots of this herb and make juice. Mix it with jiggery equal parts and sip it.
EYE ISSUES
This can soothe issues like conjunctivitis. Take the leaves and grind them well, and this pasty cream should be put on the eyes. If you make this juice with honey, you can use it as eyeliner and resolve corneal issues. Also, it reduces swelling of the eyes.
LOWERING THE BLOOD SUGAR
In case you’re diabetic, Continue reading

Sleeping in on weekends may help reduce diabetes risk

Sleeping in on weekends may help reduce diabetes risk

Getting too little sleep during the week can increase some risk factors for diabetes, but sleeping late on weekends might help improve the picture, a small U.S. study suggests.
Researchers conducted a sleep experiment with 19 healthy young men and found just four nights of sleep deprivation were linked to changes in their blood suggesting their bodies weren't handling sugar as well as usual.
But then, when they let the men get extra sleep for the next two nights, their blood tests returned to normal, countering the effect of the short-term sleep deprivation.
"It gives us some hope that if there is no way to extend sleep during the week, people should try very hard to protect their sleep when they do get an opportunity to sleep in and sleep as much as possible to pay back the sleep debt," said lead study author Josaine Broussard of the University of Colorado Boulder.
The study doesn't prove sleeping late every weekend can counter the ill effects of insufficient rest every other night of the week, Broussard cautioned.
And it doesn't prove that catching up on sleep will prevent diabetes.
"We don't know if people can recover if the behavior is repeated every week," Broussard added by email. "It is likely though that if any group of people suffer from sleep loss, getting extra sleep will be beneficial."
To assess the impact of sleep on diabetes risk, Broussard and colleagues focused on what's known as insulin sensitivity, or the body's ability to use the hormone insulin to regulate blood sugar. Impaired insulin sensitivity is one risk factor for type 2 diabetes, which is associa Continue reading

The Vaccine Against Diabetes Has Been Officially Announced And The Entire World Is Celebrating The News!

The Vaccine Against Diabetes Has Been Officially Announced And The Entire World Is Celebrating The News!

Only in the USA, 1.25 million people suffer from type one diabetes. On the bright side, a vaccine used more than 100 years ago for tuberculosis (bacillus Calmette-Guerin) has turned out to be promising when it comes to reversing this disease. Nowadays, medical experts and doctors use this vaccine for treating bladder cancer, meaning that this vaccine is safe.
At the 75th Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association it was announced that the Food and Drugs Administration will test the vaccine on 150 people who are in an advanced stage of type one diabetes.
An individual that suffers from type one diabetes faces the problem of their body not producing insulin due to the immune system destroying the cells that create insulin. The body produces T cells, which cause problems in the pancreatic islets, where insulin is being produced. The vaccine actually eliminates these T cells.
People who suffer from diabetes and who have been injected with the vaccine noticed an increase in the levels of a substance called tumor necrosis factor. The increased level of TNF in the system annihilates the T cells which obstruct the process of production of insulin.
In an experiment from before, patients suffering from diabetes type one were injected with the tuberculosis vaccine twice within a month time frame. The results revealed that the dangerous T cells were eliminated, and in some of these people, insulin started secreting on its own.
These result that the BCG vaccine has been showing especially thrilled Dr. Denise Faustman, director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Immunobi Continue reading

Rob Kardashian Home After Hospitalization: Surprise Diabetes Diagnosis Was a

Rob Kardashian Home After Hospitalization: Surprise Diabetes Diagnosis Was a "Wake Up Call," Source Says

A new development concerning Rob Kardashian's health has been revealed.
E! News confirms that the 28-year-old, who has remained away from the spotlight for quite some time now, is back at home after being diagnosed with diabetes.
Rob was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital after not feeling well over the holiday weekend. Once his condition seemed to worsen, he was taken to the doctor to see what was going on. After performing various tests, doctors concluded that Rob is diabetic.
"He's home already. He went for a little and is fine now. It was a wake up call," the source tells E! News. The insider adds that Rob's tests revealed his blood sugar levels were very high, and doctors told him that he needs to lose weight, exercise and dramatically change his diet, or it will get worse.
Rob's well-being has been in question ever since he decided to become reclusive, and the speculation was heightened when sisters Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian each took to Instagram to share touching messages about their little brother.
The 31-year-old Keeping Up With the Kardashians star shared an adorable throwback selfie of herself pouting for the camera while brother Rob gave her a kiss on the cheek. "If only you could see yourself through my eyes!" she captioned the blurry shot on her Instagram account. "I'll forever be obsessed with you! My one and only! #MyAce"
Meanwhile, the mother of three shared another photo of Rob sleeping on the couch with a simple caption that read, "Bob" with a heart emoji.
The former Dancing With the Stars competitor has stayed out of the limelight for more than a year Continue reading

No more pages to load

Popular Articles

Related Articles