diabetestalk.net

American Diabetes Association Dka Algorithm

Share on facebook

M A N A G E M E N T A N D T R E A T M E N T O F

This care process model (CPM) was developed by Intermountain Healthcare’s Pediatric Clinical Specialties Program. It provides guidance for identifying and managing type 1 diabetes in children, educating and supporting patients and their families in every phase of development and treatment, and preparing our pediatric patients to transition successfully to adulthood and adult diabetes self-management. This CPM is based on guidelines from the American Diabetes Association (ADA), particularly the 2014 position statement Type 1 Diabetes Through the Life Span, as well as the opinion of local clinical experts in pediatric diabetes.ADA1,CHI Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes C a r e P r o c e s s M o d e l F E B R U A R Y 2 0 1 7 2 0 17 U p d a t e Why Focus on PEDIATRIC TYPE 1 DIABETES? Diabetes in childhood carries an enormous burden for patients and their families and represents significant cost to our healthcare system. In 2008, Intermountain Healthcare published the first CPM on the management of pediatric diabetes with the overall goal of helping providers deliver the best clinical care in a consistent and integrated way. What’s new: • Separate CPMs for type 1 and type 2 Continue reading >>

Share on facebook

Popular Questions

  1. jackie

    Yeast infection that will not go away. Any ideas?

    I have had a constant yeast infection since the first week of January. I have tried several over the counter creams, 7 Diflucan pills, yogurt, peroxide, and take 3 pro biotic pills per day. I currently am having sugars in the high teens. My doctor keeps telling me it is from the sugar. I am o.k with that but I need to do something for the side effects until I get my sugar under control. I am on 2000mg Metformin and 21 units of Lantus at bed and 10 units of Lantus in the morning. Has anyone had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? This is getting to the point that I can not even sleep at night anymore.
    Thanks

  2. breezeonby

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jackie
    I have had a constant yeast infection since the first week of January. I have tried several over the counter creams, 7 Diflucan pills, yogurt, peroxide, and take 3 pro biotic pills per day. I currently am having sugars in the high teens. My doctor keeps telling me it is from the sugar. I am o.k with that but I need to do something for the side effects until I get my sugar under control. I am on 2000mg Metformin and 21 units of Lantus at bed and 10 units of Lantus in the morning. Has anyone had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? This is getting to the point that I can not even sleep at night anymore.
    Thanks I had similar problems last year when my blood sugar was high. One Diflucan is all it took to clear up my infection. I was totally miserable. I thought I would go insane with the itching. It sounds like you have tried just about everything. Are you on any rapid acting insulin at mealtime? If not, you might want to ask your doctor about adding this. I only take Lantus in the late evening but my dose is much higher than yours, I am insulin resistant. You may need to increase your Lantus by a couple of units every 3 days until your fasting blood sugar is around 120 or 6.5. Hopefully, you can get your blood glucose down and some of the itching will subside. I will keep you in mind and if I can think of anything that you can try to help with the itching, I will let you know. Hang in there, relief is on the way!

  3. jackie

    Thanks.
    I went to my doctor again today and he has prescribed another 14 pills of diflucan. He said to take 1 per day for as long as I need it. He also increased my morning insulin by 2 units. I am to increase by 1 unit every 3 days until I get down to 6 - 9. I am not on a fast acting because he does not beleive that my high sugars are related to what I am eating. He also told me to have my husband take a diflucan as even without symptoms he may be passing the infection back to me. Hopefully this works.
    __________________
    Not sure of my Type. Doctor's say 80% chance of Type 2 and 20% chance of Type 1.
    I am on:
    Metformin: 2000mg/day (500mg at breakfast, 500mg at dinner, and 1000mg at bed)
    Lantus: 21 units at bed and 12 units in the morning

  4. -> Continue reading
read more close

Related Articles

  • Dka Algorithm

    Diabetic ketoacidosis is an emergency medical condition that can be life-threatening if not treated properly. The incidence of this condition may be increasing, and a 1 to 2 percent mortality rate has stubbornly persisted since the 1970s. Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs most often in patients with type 1 diabetes (formerly called insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus); however, its occurrence in patients with type 2 diabetes (formerly called non–ins ...

    ketosis Mar 28, 2018
  • Dka Management Algorithm

    Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics Authors Jagdeesh Ullal,1 Raymie McFarland,2 Margaret Bachand,3 Joseph Aloi4 Abstract Background Efforts at improving quality metrics in diabetes focus on minimizing adverse events and avoiding re-admissions to the hospital. Our experience with Glucommander (Glytec, Greenville, SC), a cloud-based insulin management software system, suggested that its use in the emergency department (ED) would be useful in treatin ...

    ketosis Jan 5, 2018
  • American Diabetes Association Dka Algorithm

    Authors Runa Acharya, MD, University of Iowa-Des Moines Internal Medicine Residency Program at UnityPoint Health, Des Moines, IA Udaya M. Kabadi, MD, FACP, FRCP(C), FACE, Veteran Affairs Medical Center and Broadlawns Medical Center, Des Moines, IA; Des Moines University of Osteopathic Medicine, Iowa City; and University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City; Adjunct Professor of Medicine and Endocrinology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, a ...

    diabetes Apr 3, 2018
  • Dka In Pregnancy Algorithm

    If you have type 1 diabetes, you should be given ketone testing strips and a monitor. Your care team should advise you to test the ketone levels in your blood if your blood glucose is too high (known as hyperglycaemia) or if you are unwell. This is because you are at risk of a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). People with type 1 diabetes are at higher risk of DKA (although anyone with diabetes can get it). If you have any form ...

    ketosis Apr 29, 2018
  • American Diabetes Association Consensus Statement On Dka And Hhs

    Go to: Diabetic Ketoacidosis Prior to the discovery and isolation of insulin in 1922 by Banting and Best, type 1 diabetes was universally fatal within a few months of initial diagnosis. Once mass production was started, the challenge to those early pioneers of insulin treatment was learning how to use this new wonder drug, e.g., how much to give and how often to give it, in order to treat the hyperglycemia without raising the inherent risk of hyp ...

    diabetes Apr 30, 2018
  • Dka Treatment Algorithm

    Go to: Abstract Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a rare yet potentially fatal hyperglycemic crisis that can occur in patients with both type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus. Due to its increasing incidence and economic impact related to the treatment and associated morbidity, effective management and prevention is key. Elements of management include making the appropriate diagnosis using current laboratory tools and clinical criteria and coordinating flu ...

    diabetes Apr 26, 2018

Popular Articles

More in diabetes