diabetestalk.net

Ketosis Side Effects And Symptoms

Share on facebook

Ketogenic Diet Side Effects

Although the adverse effects related to the ketogenic diet are generally less serve than those of anticonvulsant medications used to treat epilepsy, individuals following the diet may experience a number of undesirable effects. Short-Term Side Effects There are several short-term side effects that are most evident at the beginning of therapy, particularly when patients commence the diet with an initial fast. Hypoglycemia is a common side effect in this instance, and noticeable signs may include: Excessive thirst Frequent urination Fatigue Hunger Confusion, anxiety and/or irritability Tachycardia Lightheadedness and shakiness Sweating and chills Additionally, patients may also experience some constipation and low-grade acidosis. These effects tend to improve when the diet is continued, as the body adapts to the new diet and adjust the ways in which it sources energy. Alteration in Blood Composition As a result of the changes in dietary consumption and the body’s adaptive mechanisms to cope with the reduced carbohydrate intake, there are several changes in the blood composition of individuals following the ketogenic diet. In particular, the levels of lipids and cholesterol in the b Continue reading >>

Share on facebook

Popular Questions

  1. Veretiel

    Don't take it the wrong way, I don't try to offend anyone. I'm just a bit curious and would love if you enlighten me up.
    From what I read, your brain could only receive energy from carbs. So when people go ketogenic and lower massively they carbs, where they get the energy for thinking?

    I'm not trying to say that they don't use the brain or don't think much. I'm just wondering how it works.

  2. nwthomas

    During ketosis the liver uses fat to produce chemicals called ketone bodies, which can provide energy to many types of tissues which would otherwise take glucose. The brain can adapt to get about 75% of its energy from ketone bodies. The remaining 25% must come from glucose. If the person is still ingesting a little bit of carbs, these will mostly go to the brain. If they aren't ingesting enough carbs to meet the brain's needs, the liver will transform protein into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis.

    Anecdotally
    9 some people report feeling tired and mentally sluggish when in ketosis, while other people report that they actually feel more alert and mentally acute. I don't think anybody really knows why that would happen.

  3. Veretiel

    Thank you.
    It's amazing how the body adapts to different situations.

    I suppose that puts an extra stress on the liver, so what are the benefits of ketosis?

  4. -> Continue reading
read more close

Related Articles

Popular Articles

More in ketosis