Diabetes Mellitus & Its Oral Manifestations
1. Oral Manifestations Of Diabetes Mellitus By: Md Khateeb Khan 2. Introduction
- Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder characterized by relative or absolute insufficiency of insulin and resultant disturbances of carbohydrate metabolism .
- The major function of insulin is to counter the concerted action of a number of hyperglycemia-generating hormones and to maintain low blood glucose levels .
- Almost 20% of adult older than 65 year old have DM.
- A dental practice serving an adult population of 2,000 can expect to encounter 40-80 persons with diabetes, about half of whom will be unaware of their condition.
- There are two types of Diabetes Mellitus:
- Type 1, insulin-dependent or juvenile-onset diabetes (IDDM)
- Type 2, non-insulin-dependent or adult-onset diabetes (NIDDM)
- Other specific types
- Autoimmune destruction of the insulin-producing beta cells of pancreas.
- 5-10% of DM cases.
- Commonly occurs in childho